Monday, March 28, 2011

Failure to Launch

OK so this post will probably get me into some steamy, scalding, hot water with a lot of you. I know you’ve probably been dreaming about getting that high school diploma and hitting the road! You want to get out there and experience “real life”. But wait! Hit the brakes. Is that such a good idea? Do you know how expensive the dorm life really is? Not to mention how distracting it can be. Don’t be surprised if your total bill doubles with the addition of living expenses. Living at college ain’t cheap I tell you.


As long as you have got a fairly good relationship with your parents then I would recommend that you seriously consider staying at home. Since my parents could not offer me any money for college they encouraged me to stick around and cut my expenses in half. I took their advise, and I am now about to graduate with money in the bank. Parents generally know what they are talking about. We’ve just got the idea that somehow we know better. So if your parents are cool with you sticking around, you should jump at the chance (especially if it comes with no rent and free food).

If you are serious about college and not going simply for the parties, then staying at home is another great opportunity. Picture this. It is late on Sunday night, and you are scrambling to finish that ten page research paper that is due at 9:00 the next morning. Sure you should have done it sooner but Friday and Saturday were just too awesome to waste on a paper. You’ve got six pages (double spaced of course), and you are on a roll. Then you hear a flock of classmates come crashing into the dorm next door and start blaring America’s Top 40. Well that’s it! Concentration is shot!  It takes so much more dedication and commitment to succeed when there are parties and friends trying to pull you away. How much easier would it be to work in the comfort of your own home?


Success is extremely profitable, even in school. I’ll talk about good grades and scholarships at a later time.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with the idea of staying at home, but if you have to go to a university that's far away from home that's not really an option. I stayed at home for the first two years because the college I went to was pretty close to home, but the one I'm in now is much farther away and not really worth the drive so I moved on campus.

    Also, about the doing homework at home thing, it depends. I just can't focus at home or in my room, too many distractions. I pretty much have to be in a library setting to get work done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah that's a great point. If you don't have a university near your home, then it really wouldn't be feasible to commute.

    ReplyDelete